Tuesday, August 9, 2011

So I Married A....

I've been married to the love of my life for 18 whole, wonderful days! People keep asking me, so how's the married life? And I almost don't know how to respond, because it has only been 18 days, but also, it's so happy being married to Thad that I can't imagine life not being married to him. Ew, mush. But so true.

The week of the wedding was so long I thought it'd never end. It was so much more stressful than I thought it'd be, moving from the apartment to our new home. We both were living clear on the other end of town, and we didn't have any help moving. We didn't ask for any cause we severely underestimated how much work we had to do. Nonetheless, Thad blows me away by how much work he can get done in one day. 

In the middle of the moving, and the last minute details for the wedding getting figured out, Sue and Lane got here from California and our happy little family was reunited! There's something about those two being around that immediately makes both Thad and I feel better, and with all the stress, it was a huge blessing having them around 24 hours a day the days leading up to the wedding. 

The rehearsal dinner went great. It was so insane having all these people in one building that were coming together to support us. It really hit me that night what great people we have surrounding us, and I was so overwhelmed (I will probably use this word a lot) by all the support and people taking time out of their lives to make our wedding day all that it was.

For the few people left around that don't know, my bouquet was made out of jewelry. I knew years ago that I wouldn't want a whole bunch of flowers at my wedding, so when I stumbled across the idea of the bouquet made out of brooches, I had to do it. Not only do I think brooch bouquets are often way more stunning than any real flower bouquet, it provided some small comfort to me in that most of the brooches or old jewelry I have is from my grandma. Something I've only recently found peace with is that my grandma never met Thad. She so often talked to me of my future, and especially my future husband, that the thought of letting myself in through her front door with Thad and  introducing them and being able to say here he is! The one you always wanted for me! had brought more than a few tears on in the months leading up to the wedding. Maybe I'm overly emotional, maybe it was the stress of the planning, maybe the situation with my grandpa didn't help. 

Anyway, I gathered brooches and jewelry from any lady close to me that wanted to donate and then I sent off what I had to Andrea, who was the creative genius behind the majority of everything creative and cute that happened at my wedding. The miracle worker that she is put it together herself. My mom got to see it before I did, and everytime she brought it up would start to cry because she loved it so much.  What she didn't know is that Andrea and Shelli used the extra brooches that didn't go into my bouquet to create a small one for her. I gave it to her at the rehearsal dinner and she nearly imploded. Poor little lady was so taken by surprise, and of course loved it so much, she was a complete and total wreck--but a cute one, of course.

After the rehearsal dinner, the majority of the bridal party was standing outside the church discussing where we should go. I wanted to hang out with everyone a little bit and Janae--in a typical Janae move--suggested the perfect place for us to go. My mom popped her head in the circle and asked what was up. Sue--in typical Sue fashion--threw out a hilarious one liner--"We're going out, wanna come?" and of course, my mom being mom, wanted to come! So the bridal party and the ushers and my mom all met up at La Bocca on Mill, where I proceeded to have one of the best sangria's I've ever had, &got to hang out with the majority of my favorite people alive. Did I mention my mom came? Cute.

The morning of the wedding I woke up with Sue next to me and in case you've never done that, it's a super way to start your day! I called my mom and put her on speakerphone and Sue and I nearly died laughing because this was my mom: Out of breath "Hi, how are you, I'm on the treadmill, I know I said I'd take the day off but I can't, I woke up this morning just so happy for you!" &she choked out the last few words before breaking in to tears. 

I spent the rest of the morning jumping on the bed, taking a shower, catching up on the blogs I haven't read in awhile, and jumping on the bed. Sue took me to the Sephora, where I was getting my face painted, and then all of us ladies met at my empty apartment where Janae did our hair. 

The rest of the day from there starts to blur for me. I remember being completely at peace. People kept asking me how I'm doing, and what was really bothering me was the waiting. I mean--I was just ready to get going! I never had one of those, ohmygosh I'm getting married! moments. More so just the....I'm so happy it's finally here, when is it gonna be 630 already? moments. 

The next big moment of clarity I had was when Thad and I were at the "altar" and it hit me just how good he looks in a suit. And I thought boy I'm so lucky, and I can't wait for the next excuse I get to put him in a suit. 

Everything that day just went so smoothly. I'm still overwhelmed by all the help we had in putting it together. All the people that came to Noah's early to string up lights and put out decorations and to make sure I had a stress-free day, and my sweet bridal party, and my sweet mom for keeping it together....I just can't get over it.

After the wedding we went and stayed at the Biltmore Hotel. And I'll skip the details of that but we had a really sweet night. 

Sunday we left for Cancun. It was so sweet to go on vacation just Thad and I! We did nothing but sleep and eat and order room service and sleep and eat and occasionally frolick on the beach. We didn't take a whole lot of pictures but here are the few that we did:

The view from our front door

View from the back door

We ate lunch here every day

Thad, and his Two X's

Random delivery from room service

Our room!

The first week back from the honeymoon was ROUGH. There was so much for me to catch up on at work, and so many changes that happened over 2 weeks, it felt like a whirlwind. We were slightly jetlagged but being on "we just got married we are so happy" high really helped. 

Some of my favorite things about being married so far are:

I don't always have to make the bed
Husband cuddles
I usually cook too much food, but now it's okay
When I scream, there's a cricket! I don't have to kill it
I love doing laundry, now there's more of it
My husband does dishes!
We don't live in separate places anymore
I'm Aiden's aunt now--for real!
I got a whole new, amazing family
Now when I clean, I feel like it's an act of service, not just self-service

Those are just to name a few. :) 

1 comment:

Victoria said...

I am a friend of your Dad's-this was a lovely post. I have been married for 45 years to Bill-and I am looking forward to our 50th-love does grow deeper and sweeter as the years go by-and with the Lord in your marriage doubly so-I believe.
May the Lord deeply bless you and Thad in the years ahead.