Tuesday, December 6, 2011

It's beginning to look a lot like;

They say the first year of marriage is always the hardest.

I don't know who 'they' is, but I think they're only half right.

Every year is hard, but being joined for life with the person you love most in the world, well doesn't that make it easier? It does for me. The last 4 months have had me somewhere between walking on eggshells and burying my head in the sand. (Which reminds me, I met my first scoripion recently. I almost went 23 years in the desert without the introduction. Can I please now go another 23?)

So the most recent details on my day to day are something along the lines of, blah blah blah and then I went back to school. And somewhere in there Thad and I had our arguments and our all-day snugglethons and I slept many a night alone while he worked his 36 hour shifts, and I love him today more than I did when I married him ('they' also warn of this phenomenon) and I still wanna kick him in the shin when he doesn't ever--and I do mean EVER--close ANY cabinet doors. I mean, he'll put the dishes away, wanting to do something nice for me, and I'll walk into the kitchen and it's like that scene in The Sixth Sense when the mom doesn't believe the kid about seeing dead people and she leaves the kitchen and comes back and EVERY drawer and cabinet door and even the dishwasher door is open but the kid didn't even get up. It's like that. And I'll ask him, why do you do that? And he'll say, every time, "I don't know!" So now, when I'm getting up in the morning and it's still dark and cold outside and I walk into the bathroom, without thinking I reach out around my thigh for the bathroom cabinet door to be open, because I still have a bruise around that same area on my thigh from running into it so many times. But now, when I'm reaching out for the door, knowing I'll need to shut it if he was the last one in the bathroom, I actually feel overwhelmingly blessed. Because if that cabinet door wasn't open, it would mean Thad hadn't been there, and if Thad hadn't been there, my night was incomplete, guaranteed I didn't sleep as well, my toes were cold, and no one fought with me over the blanket.

So anyway, I'm figuring out my classes at ASU for next semester, and I worked my first shift at my new store today. It was a very strange feeling but I'll get back into the routine of things. I miss my old team already, but if I wasn't accustomed to change by now I'd be a rather miserable person.

We got our first Christmas tree a few weeks ago and it's beautiful and my eyes actually watered a little bit from happiness when we were checking out at Lowe's. I inherited some of my dad's Christmas tree nazi-ism and by that I don't mean we want to destroy certain trees but that decorating the tree is like....a really big deal. And I didn't even do that great of a job (the top is blue and the bottom is red, it looks like it has schizophrenia) but the point is that its our tree and our lights and we bought all the presents underneath for our families and it's just the happiest darn thing that's ever happened to me I think.

The high is 53 today so it's finally beginning to feel like Christmas!!

No comments: