Friday, September 14, 2012

A Brief Explanation of Why "Over The Rainbow" is an Awesome Song.

1. It answers the question of "where is all this coming from?" ("Somewhere over the rainbow/way up high"). According to the song, it's coming from the Lord. Mmm, providence. Delicious.
2. It references lullabies, which let's face it, most of us don't have extremely sweet memories of but doesn't it sound fanciful and wonderful? C'mon mom, why didn't you sing me more lullabies? ("There's a land that I heard of/Once in a lullaby")
3. It puts to rest that age old question, 'is the sky blue?' Yes, as the song explains, "somewhere over the rainbow/skies are blue."
4. It answers "when am I going to start getting what I really want?" You are going to start getting what you really want when you get to heaven, dear. While here, we will struggle with remaining sin. We will suffer, but our hope remains. ("The dreams that you dare to dream/really do come true" and "troubles melt like lemon drops." There's no crying in heaven!)
5. It addresses the unfortunate reality of our battles with the flesh and reminds us that the best is yet to come. ("Blue birds fly over the rainbow/why oh why can't I?") We aren't fully sanctified yet, but we have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and the promise of an eternity spent in the presence of the Lord.

Okay maybe that's not what the writer of the song meant, that's just what I hear when I listen to "Over the Rainbow."

Tag this under "Calvinist Filter" and "What I'm thinking about at 2am"

No comments: