Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Is big hair cool again? Because it's a million percent humid.

Well it's our third week in Georgia and it's been won-der-ful. I don't have to use my gps anymore to find most things and I've [almost] forgotten how annoying it is to drive a stick in the land that isn't flat. Also, someone forgot to tell whoever build the roads here that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line but I'm getting used to that, too.

On my list of things that I am not used to is:


  • Everyone talking in "Exits." Ask someone where something is located and they will inevitably tell you "It's on Exit [insert number here]." If you ask them what road that is, they will probably look blankly at you, throw out a name, and consult the nearest person who also doesn't know what the road is actually called. Hilarious.
  • Humidity. It's 80 degrees and I'm sweating. At home I'd be willing to put a light scarf on in 80 degree weather if it was gonna look nice, but I just broke a sweat putting a load of laundry in. I feel like I'm in a sauna--which I'm told is good because it helps sweat toxins out. Trying to look on the bright side, you know?
  • Weezer. On the radio. All the time. Sup, 2005?
  • Pollen. I've never had allergies in my life and I haven't stopped blowing my nose for three days now. It is not fun.
Not that I'm complaining. The awesome is outweighing the bad. I love that when I take walks at night, I don't feel the need to constantly look behind me, the crickets are chirping, and it smells like trees. People don't look at me funny when I say 'yes ma'am' and of course, Southern hospitality is a real thing, and I find myself on the receiving end of it constantly.

And then there's the fact that Clemskidoodles and I get to see Thad on a weekly basis, which has been spirit-renewing in so many ways. It is sooooo nice to be able to have the three of us together! He will be done at NLB in about 7 weeks and I can hardly believe it. It seems unreal....we'll all get to LIVE together?! Amazing.

Here is what Clementine has been up to:
Falling asleep at the park

Learning how to grab things (other than my hair)

Making boyfriends
Getting smooches from Dad

Ignoring me because Hook is on TV


Clemskidoodles rolled over for the first time the other day. She did not like it. She rolled back onto her back before I could get my camera and she has not attempted to roll over since. I do not think she was a fan, and that's okay with me. After rolling comes crawling, and after crawling walking, and after walking, running away from me. I like getting to tickle her while she can't stop me. 

2 comments:

Susan Chaplin said...

Haha I find it interesting to hear your georgia analysis. Feel free to keep it coming. So true about exits...I am still annoyed that some freeways in Ca dont even have exit numbers. Like what??! How am I supposed to remember where to get off? I almost wrecked continuously trying to look everywhere on the signs for the exit number...until finally just gave up. You cant use road names in georgia because there will be a million roads with the same name...like Peachtree. Every exit just outside of ATL within a certain radius is...Peachtree. So insert....exit #'s lol.

Deb Martin said...

So glad you are enjoying the South! I love it too! My Graham has started to roll over too. He likes to sleep on his belly, so he will roll over at night, and then start screaming bloody murder because he is on his back....sigh. :)