Monday, April 1, 2013

Welcome To Atlanta

   I'm currently writing this from the den of a beautiful house owned by beautiful people in Cumming, Georgia because God is good.
   My stomach has been in knots for months over the space between Thad and I, and how awkward? difficult? seemingly impossible? it would be for us to meld our lives together when he finishes his program. We've both basically been on opposite ends of the country becoming different people--me, a mother and he, a new man. But we both had resigned ourselves to it because God has you where he has you--that is, until he moves you which is exactly what happened to me two weeks ago.
   I'm sitting here starting sentences and backspacing, and starting a new sentence and backspacking, maybe because I haven't processed it all yet. Or I don't really know how to put into words how quickly everything has changed for our little family in the last few weeks. But mostly I don't really know how to express my gratitude for all that has been and is continuing to happen in our lives. The long & short of it is that our brother and sister, Allan and Stacey, talked to their good friends who have a track record of being extremely giving of their home and time, about Clementine coming to live with them through the rest of Thad's program. Without ever having met me, they agreed to open up their home to me and my little Clemenbaby. I often have to pause to let that sink in. I hope that one day, when I have my own home, I will find ways to serve others like they do.
   Anyway, it all happened so quickly. One week I'm fretting over the future of my family and missing Thad horribly and the next I'm trying to sell Thad's car, and calling car shipping companies to ship mine across the States, and packing up my life into suitcases so that Clementine and I can move to Georgia and see her daddy more than once every 3 months.
   All of this started being put into motion when Thad was in a portion of the program without any outside contact. He was finally given privileges back the Saturday before the Thursday we were planning to fly out and I didn't feel like telling him about the move in a letter (I also didn't have time to write one) so not only was it a surprise when we showed up at NLB on Saturday, he didn't know that we moved here, either.
   It has been beyond strange driving around in Georgia. Running errands in Georgia. Having my car in Georgia. I've never lived in another state before but Georgia is prettttty sweeeeet. Of course, I'm totally thrown off by the fact that none of the roads are straight, and they're full of hills and curves and trees and what the heck I drive a manual, I wish these roads would chill out on the climbs. If it weren't for GPS I'd drive in a circle all day, although today I did make it to three destinations without needing directions so I guess in another few weeks or so it won't be so confusing.
   Today I was in Target and there were gaggles of women everywhere. It seems everyone in Georgia knows everyone in Georgia and even though they saw each other yesterday at church, they had more to talk about when they bumped into each other in the cracker aisle, like how this one chick was deciding to get married with a justice of the peace instead of in a church, how scandalous. This other lady "hugged the dickens" out of her friend? neighbor? and, throwing her hand on her hip and in a WINNING southern accent hollered, "Why weren't you at church yesterday?" and I think I had to quickly duck into another aisle to avoid conspicuously laughing at their exchange. Thank you, women of the South! Now I have even more reasons to waste time at Target!

  Anywho. Here we are. And so far, it's great!

 Nani came with us on Clementine's first ever plane ride and stayed for the weekend because she is the best Nani ever. We got a whole row to ourselves and got to bring Clemenbaby's carseat! She slept for most the flight and cried for 30 seconds!

 I look terrible but please note how tight Thad had to hold Clementine. He couldn't stop cheesin for awhile.

 We have the cutest baby ever.

She tries to eat my face but I win. 

4 comments:

rosemarie said...

Wow! What a blessing these people are and I think you are beyond wise moving to GA.I am so happy for the Pinch family.

janae said...

So glad you're getting settled and Clementine was an angel on the plane...of course she would be..she's the sweetest. Thanks for updating, I was about to email you to beg for a status report.

Deb Martin said...

Aaaaahhh so excited for you!!! I remember you talking about moving to Georgia! Well, welcome to the South! I personally am a big fan!! Also, I would love to get together some time, if that is not too creepy! ;) I am only a couple of hours away if you need something! XO

Deleting said...

Welcome to the east coast!!!

I read your blog and listen to your dad's podcast which has helped tremendously!

I would have emailed you in private but blogger doesn't list it.

I hope this doesn't seem weird to have a complete stranger post comments on your blog.