Friday, November 15, 2013

Day 12. And why I failed.

It's been 12 days since I decided to break up with sugar and I have some bad news.

I had sugar.

Before you get too disappointed, hear me out. 

On Monday, no home, apartment complex, or business had water within a 1 mile radius of here for over 13 hours. The city said it was for "routine maintenance" but clearly something went wrong. The notification we received said it would take 5-6 hours. By the end of the day, the dishes were piled in the sink....don't even ask me about the toliets....and I was freaking thirsty. 

When Clem was really little, I drank about 3 gallons of water a day because I was nursing so much. Still, I average a little over a gallon of water a day and we have a giant water filter that I have to fill 2-3 times a day just to stay hydrated (I am still nursing). By early afternoon, I was so thirsty I jumped in the car and drove to Starbucks and asked them for some large waters. Those were gone 3 hours later. Clementine was asleep. I felt dizzy from thirst. The only thing we had in our fridge to drink was half&half and a small bottle of cold-pressed orange juice.

I had to do it. I just had to. I cracked that thing open and took a few swigs. Really, I drank less than a quarter of it. I know OJ has sugar in it, I just needed SOMETHING to drink. When Thad got home I made another Starbucks run for a few waters. It wasn't until past ten o'clock that night that we had running water again. 

Anyway, that being said, I guess I can't say "I haven't had any sugar for 12 days!" What I can say is that my sugar detox has truly been detoxifying. The subtitle of the book I'm following that has all of my meal plans in it is "Bust sugar and carb cravings naturally" and I can gladly say that after 12 days of following this plan, that is exactly what I've experienced. I just had a cabbage/kale/avocado salad with the foccacia bread on the side that I made last night (more on that in a second) and I am full, feeling great, and not craving sugar (like I usually do every afternoon around this time). 

Okay, it's been a second, so let me tell you how delicious the foccacia "bread" I made last night is. (Can something be called bread if it doesn't contain wheat or sugar? I don't even know.) IT WAS SO STINKING DELICIOUS THERE IS HARDLY ANY LEFT. The recipe is, of course, in my 21 day sugar detox book. It's made with coconut flour, eggs, herbs, n such. Basically there was no talking at the dinner table last night because Thad and I were unceremoniously stuffing our faces with this stuff. 

I told myself I would just nibble on a little of it with my lunch this afternoon, and then Clementine came along and literally stood at my feet crying for me to share. You can't really say no to her face, so she and I just nom-nommed on it until I was sure she had ingested more than a day's worth of the calories she needs and much to the chagrin of us both, decided to save what is left for Thad. 


How great I am feeling and how much I actually love the food I'm eating leads me to wonder how I'm going to eat when I am not on the detox anymore. 

Wait just kidding, I'm always gonna eat like this. I may not cut anything COMPLETELY out of my diet--really, there's no need to feel so badly for drinking an ounce of orange juice--but I can't imagine going back to how I was feeling prior to now! I have not in any way, shape, or form, wanted to conform to a "paleo" or "primal" or "I only eat clean foods!" thing (because really, that can get annoying just way too quickly to have to be around) but I can't ignore the positive effects these bodies of thought have to offer. 

No comments: